Saturday, July 7, 2012

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

I was afraid this would happen.   Been living with my new Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens and I don't want to take it off the camera.  Except to use the "bird lens," the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS.

It took me so long because my old SIGMA 18-200 performed so well in so many circumstances that I was reluctant to give up the convenience having the 18mm instantly available.  It was when the lens locked up my camera last year that I began to have this sickening feeling my stomach that the lens was flawed, and indeed Error 99 was fixed by mounting a Canon brand lens.

So here are the results of the comparison tests.  The first under not so challenging conditions:
At 24mm for The Canon:


At 24mm for The Sigma:





















No real differences in sharpness or contrast.  This is why it took me so long.

Now at 105mm for the Canon:



















105mm for the Sigma:




















Same Story  No real differences in sharpness or contrast.

So I tried under challenging conditions simulating a sunset or a concert with bright light coming straight into the lenses.

The Canon at 24mm.  Some flare, some loss of contrast around the timer.



















The Sigma at 24mm - noticeable ghosts, flare and loss of contrast over a larger part of the image.



















The Canon at 105.  Some loss of contrast and flare.



















The Sigma at 105:  Not acceptable.  Contrast and flare are awful.



















Check your credit card balance and expectations.  Draw your own conclusions.

Here the link to my UK Gallery where I used lenses including the 24-105, and the 70-200.
































No comments:

Post a Comment